Delegating Well: Examining Best Practices When Outsourcing Development Plan Review
As the responsibilities of municipal stormwater personnel continue to grow, development plan review is becoming an increasingly popular item that can be effectively outsourced. This presentation will focus on best practices and lessons learned from performing hundreds of development plan reviews for two localities in Virginia and include:
- How to effectively manage client communication
- How to effectively manage conflicts of interest
- Benefits/drawbacks of singular vs. multiple staff involvement
- How to standardize and document review procedures
- Pre- and Post- COVID-19 workflow observations
Stephen received a BS in Civil Engineering from The Citadel and has spent his entire 14-year career as a storm water engineer. Stephen is a licensed professional engineer in South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia. Stephen has worked on a wide variety of municipal stormwater design projects and enjoys providing program support to Phase 1 MS4s. Stephen is a certified Stormwater Management Plan Reviewer and has recently been managing development plan review services for two Phase 1 MS4s in Virginia.