The mission of the Virginia Lakes and Watersheds Association is to promote and educate the public on good lake and watershed management, encourage sustainable stormwater management practices and protect the welfare of lakes and other water resources within the Commonwealth.
The Virginia Lakes and Watersheds Association Scholarship Committee members solicit and evaluate the scholarship applications. The applicants are ranked and a recommendation for the annual scholarship awards is provided to the Virginia Lakes and Watersheds Association Board of Directors. The scholarship committee members promote the scholarship to Virginia residents attending colleges and universities located in Virginia. The scholarship recipients are invited to the Virginia Lakes and Watersheds Association Annual Water Conference.
- Shelly Frie, Chair
- Rebecca Francese
- Seshadri Iyer
- David Krisnitski
- Amanda Pennington
Leo Bourassa Scholarship
We established the Leo Bourassa Scholarship in 2001 to help further our mission and award annual scholarships to support deserving students who are studying in fields related to water resources. The scholarship is named in honor of Leo Bourassa, who was the founder of the Virginia Lakes and Watersheds Association.
The scholarship award funds will be presented in a check written to the college or university each recipient is currently attending and can only be applied towards tuition or fees. We typically award multiple scholarships annually ranging in value from $3,000 to $500 each.
The scholarship recipient will be selected on the basis of academic performance, contribution to the field of water resources, and related extracurricular activities. The Virginia Lakes and Watersheds Association scholarship committee members will evaluate the scholarship applications and provide a recommendation to the Virginia Lakes and Watersheds Board of Directors on the annual scholarships to be awarded.
The scholarship application is due is April 1st and the application form should be submitted electronically via the Virginia Lakes and Watershed Association website. The following information will need to be provided with your application:
- Description of experiences you have had relative to water resources and watershed management including both salaried and volunteer experiences.
- List of clubs and organizations related to water resources of which you are a member including attendance or participation in any Virginia Lakes and Watersheds Association events.
- Explanation of why you feel you are deserving of this scholarship. Be sure to include academic experience, work experience, educational plans, and career objectives.
- Copy of current college transcripts; transcripts can be official or unofficial.
A minimum of two letters of recommendations from non-family members are required as part of the application process and applications without recommendation letters will not be considered. The person writing the letter of recommendation can mail the letter to the address below by the application deadline of April 1st.
VLWA Scholarship Committee c/o Shelly Frie
5701 Cleveland Street, Suite 200
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
The applicant must:
- Be a student in good standing at any Virginia accredited college or university and a resident of Virginia at the time of application and at the time of award; and
- Have successfully completed, or will complete by the award date, at least two semesters of undergraduate study; and
- Be a full-time undergraduate, full-time graduate student, or a part-time graduate student enrolled in a curriculum related to water resources including but not limited to: biology, conservation, ecology, engineering, environmental science, geology, hydrology, limnology, stormwater management, water quality, or wildlife studies. Other areas related to water resources may also qualify.
Past scholarship recipients are allowed to reapply.
Frequently Asked Questions
How will I know if my scholarship application has been received?
You will receive notification by email.
Can a past Virginia Lakes and Watershed Association scholarship recipient apply for another scholarship?
A past scholarship recipient can apply for another scholarship as long as they meet all the scholarship application criteria.
When will scholarship recipients be announced?
Scholarship recipients are typically notified by July. All scholarship applicants will be notified if they were or were not selected for a scholarship.
Who do I contact for more information about the Virginia Lakes and Watersheds Leo Bourassa Scholarship?
Please use our contact form to request more information.